Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mission Possible

My little sister bravely boarded a plane with her baby and husband and is headed to Ethopia for a week as she and her husband co-ordinate the mission for their church.  Meanwhile, my older sister and her husband have made the hard decision to leave their children for 2 weeks in order to give their time to children in Africa without parents.  How did I end up with cool sisters, like that? 
So, I'm going to admit something.  If I spent very much time thinking about it I would be just a tad bit jealous. Which I know, yes, is very wrong on many different levels.  I mean these have been agonized, prayed up, advice asked decisions for my sisters.  Lydia ran the risk of having to leave Marcus behind if he caught any flu bug. Hayley is leaving her kids.  I know all this.  I know it's not going to be all that glamorous.  So why do my messes, that God's called me to, not look quite as 'called'?  Why do I find myself acting like my daughter who goes through books saying, I want that, and that, and that -- what's that, Mom? Saturn. I want Saturn, Mommy.  Daddy, can I have Saturn?  Don't I understand that I have what's best for me, that really my grown-up Saturn wishes aren't going to deliver.  Can't I meet with challenges given me, knowing God has fashioned them uniquely to strengthen and build me as His person?  How ridiculous is it that I would want to trade... Oh, but it's easy, really easy. 
So today when my dear friend stopped in shortly after having the stomach flu, I didn't grab the Lysol.  --We are good enough friends, I could have gotten by with it :) -- Instead I thought of Marcus and malaria, and offered her a chair, then she proceeded to put skin on God's love, sharing with me a passage of scripture which she knew I needed to hear. 
This is my life, Lord,
Help me not to wish it away,
Waste it away
Or, not taste the joy of the people around me.
Lord, help me to be a joyful giver of Me.

2 comments: