Thursday, December 6, 2012

Nor Doth He Sleep

I'm going along my merry way
Running errands after getting our Christmas pictures taken
When I hear that they've found the girls-
The cousins missing since summer
How does this fit into Christmas?
I want to block out the pain
I don't want to empathize
I want to think about Jesus in the manger
Not the Jesus on the cross
But the two are the same
the Jesus who was born, and brought hope and life eternal
Was the Jesus who died for the ugly, the heinous deeds, careless actions
So I hurt for my Aunt who lost her Granddaughter... My Cousin who doesn't have his little girl anymore.  My Grandma whose Great Grandbaby is dancing with Jesus.  And the other Mothers, Father, Aunts, Uncles, Friends...  The people who turned on porch lights, and tied ribbons on trees.  The thousands who prayed, posted fliers.  The many who are now asking "Why?"

This carol came to mind, written during the civil war it skillfully takes what we have compartmentalized -- gritty life, traditional worship, God, and melds them together.
I Heard The Bells
I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

Till ringing, singing on its way
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head
“There is no peace on earth,” I said,
“For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”
H. Longfellow

 

2 comments:

  1. The words of this song grip me in a new way in the context of your post.

    I am praying for you and your extended family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee, I wish there was some way to know how many people are praying right now.

      Delete